Sunday, December 30, 2007

One sock to ruin them all

A few months back I decided to take on my first sock project. I had knitted gloves and figured if I can do that I can do anything. I bought some yarn for my socks and decided to use the basic sck recipe from the Yarn Harlot. www.yarnharlot.ca. You can fnd the pattern in her book Knitting Rules! I don't have the book yet but this pattern was featured on Knitty Gritty and we all know how much I love that show. I print the pattern and get to work. I am doing so well. Even a lady I knit with it impressed with how soon after taking up knitting I try and conquer socks. It only took me a few days to make the first one.
I don't know if you are seeing what I am seeing, but that my friends is not a sock that would fit any kind of human I have met. In fact I think the only creature it may fit is a hobbit. How did this happen you may ask? Well I made the foot too short. I miscalculated how much yarn I would need per sock and started to run out. So I skimped on the foot part. That was a mistake.

I have not made it's match because well it is painful for me to look at. I have kept this pitiful thing I have aptly named "the one sock" just as a reminder of what can happen when good knitting goes wrong

No comments: