Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I think introductions are in order

My name is Heather and I am a knitter. There I said it and boy did it feel good.


Like most of the knitters I know my obsession with fiber came on quite suddenly. A few years back a friend of mine and I decided to swap crafting techniques. She would teach me to knit and I in turn would teach her to crochet. I apparently am a better teacher than I am a student. Because after hours of dropped stitches, added stitches and a lot of cussing, I threw the needles, ball of yarn, and some of the hair that had been pulled out of my head during a screaming fit against the wall proclaiming I would never knit again.


Never came a lot sooner than I thought it would. While my best friend was pregnant with her 4th child she called me to say she had gone into labor and would I come be with her. She had decided to have a home birth and well I know all too well how long labor can last, so I decided to bring something to make the time go faster. I had been watching Knitty Gritty and for a while and was feeling envious of all of the talent that paraded across my screen. I decided to give knit another chance. I bought some needles and some yarn and took with me the pattern for Better Sweater and headed to my friends house. After 3 days of near constant knitting and no baby I came home with a sweater for my oldest daughter.


You can see how happy she is to have it. Without her right there to compare to I could not size it right. But I was proud none the less. And since I finished my first real project I felt like a knitter a REAL knitter. I wanted to knit more and more things. And so my story begins....

2 comments:

tb said...

Welcome! You know, if you put a long white shirt under that sweater and a nice frog clasp she'll be right in style today! I'm just saying!

heather said...

Poor thing...

I hope she appreciated the effort you put into it at least!!

btw, I love the blog name. :)